Sunday, October 22, 2006

Five albums.

Sheffield, England's Arctic Monkeys are one of my favorite bands, and their album "Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not" is one of my favorite albums of all time. This got me to thinking: What are the five albums that have influenced me the most?


(In no Particular order)


1. Flogging Molly, "Drunken Lullabies"



Synopsis A Septept of Irish musicians from Los Angeles, of all places, come together and make Celtic folk-inspired punk rock about drinking, religion, friendship, freedon, family, and drinking.



Why it means something to me "Lullabies" introduced me to live shows. A friend of mine told me about an upcoming show (way back in 2002), and gave me a burned copy of the album. I was instantly drawn to the energy of the album, and their show on November 2, 2002 was my introduction into kickass live music.



2.Minor Threat, "Complete Discography"



Synopsis Ian Mackaye (formerly of Teen Idles) decides he wants to play music as fast as humanly possible. Along the way, he creates the "straight-edge" subgenre and lifestyle, where kids don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. The sub-sub-genres of sXe and Youth Crew develop.



Why it means something to me I was again introduced to this band through the same friend, and I could identify with them. A clean lifestyle, and fast motherfucking music to listen to. The lyrics were hidden beyond the music, but it was worth it. Yeah...it's IN MY EYES.

3.Kanye West, "The College Dropout"



Synopsis Do I have to? Chicago-area producer gets big by making HOVA for the Jiggaman himself. Fast forward a few years, and this kid gets a record deal. He takes a backpacker-ish route, talking about graveshifts, car accidents, and oh yeah, college and why it sucks.



Why it means something to me The world told me about Ye...and I took the message. West's second album was better recieved critically,but for me, it lacked depth. He seemd to go more mainstream, and it kinda pissed me off. "Dropout" had shit anyone-anyone-could deal with, and had college-related songs. "Late Registration"-the Louis Vitton Don's soph effort-stayed away from school, save Broke Phi Broke skits. It was a helluva freshman effort, and had so many good songs on it-hell, School Spirit coulda beena single.



4.Funeral for a Friend, "Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation"



Synopsis A group of Welshmen make a rock and roll album. That rock and roll album has just the right blend of screaming and singing, along with damn catchy hooks. Lyrically, the songs have really long song titles but hey.



Why this album means something to me: Lyrically...I was young, sixteen, and getting into screamo because I was naive. But, the songs were easily decipherable, and I really enjoyed the song titles. What really did it for me is that the first time I saw the band, it was the first time I heard them.The audience was singing along, and man...I loved it. Good Job, FFAF.



5.Pixies, "Wave of Mutilation"



Synopsis Pixies, the biggest indie band ever, have all their best stuff thrown on one album by 4AD just in time for a reunion tour.



Why it means something to me Radio introduced me to Pixies (really) with "Here Comes Your Man" and "Debaser"...both are good songs, and I like the one about gouging out eyeballs better. The album, which I bought because I was getting in to the Pixies and the whole reunion thing, told me why Kim Deal was fucking awesome. I like any Pixies song Kim Deal lends her voice to, my favorite being "Into the White". I saw them live, and well, I saw the Pixies. Mmm....good record.



Now you kids know what music influenced me, leave a comment if you can on facebook, or just put one below.

Payce.

No comments: