Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Conceived after yesterday's longer than expected road trip, I present to you my new blog, A Sign In Salem. The sign in question was the marquee outside a Pizza Hut that read "Smile You Know You Want It." I'm sure the franchise meant their pizza, but other connotations may have been intended. for all I know, some motherfucking hot waitress works there and she want to naughty things to the customers. Chances are she's a college student, with the bevy of higher education around the New River Valley/Roanoke Valley. Back to business, though.
What I aim to do with this blog is to post on a more frequent basis, post Watch Batteries (I will write another one, one day...), and deliver content. That's right, content. the Alarm Clock blog was a fun experiment, but no one wants to do anything like that in the summer. A Sign in Salem (ASIS...or ASS, your choice) will be solely my work, because I feel the need to tell you these things. In the vein of Watch Batteries, I give you the first feature-Top 10/25.

Here's how this works: I give you the top 10 of my 25 Most played on iTunes. Currently, I only have 1.5 GB of music on my laptop. Thanks, DRM! I digress.

Artist|Title

1. The Majestic Twelve|Thank God Everything On TV is A Lie
Perhaps the best song on their sophomore effort, Schizophrenology, TM12 construct a middle-of-the-road argument by using saracastic infelction. Brilliant. The best part? The bridge-"C', mon baby let's go....to the mall"
2.TV on the Radio|Wolf Like Me
TVotR are back....and this is the poppiest song on the album. Pop in a good way-this song was performed on Letterman, and Dave really really liked it.
3.The Majestic Twelve|Break It and Breathe
Taking a breather from talking about politics, TM12 reflect on old times and taking it easy. A pure rock song, really. Adds a little something called complexity to the album.
4.The Majestic Twelve|American Rage
This time, it's personal. With the refrain " I Am American Rage!" serving as the hook/chorus, the listener is taken ona ride through the vocalist's eyes. Connects with the listener on a person-to-personal level.
5.Lupe Fiasco|The Instrumental
One of my favorite tracks on Lupe's long-awaited full length (or at least a real full length). I'd really like to see you rhyme box that well. Go ahead, do it. You can't.
6.The Majestic Twelve|Are You Ready?
TM12 close their album with a battle cry, asking you if you're gonna "stand up like Patrick Henry or get baked and watch Patrick the Starfish". Spongebob is cemented into stoner culture, but that's beside the point. The best part of the song? The lyrical gem "My constitution is forged from Carnegie Steel/Ellis Island, Rosa Parks, America for real!" Only from this band from Wilmington, NC.
7.The Roots|Bread and Butter
Hip-hop's hardest working group is back with their new album, Game Theory. "Bread and Butter" is an exclusive track onyl available via iTunes download. I highly suggest you get it.
8.Lupe Fiasco|Hurt Me Soul
Hailed as the best song on the album, Mr. FNF complains about...everything, and how they "hurt me soul." Mainly though, Loop explains why he's not your typical rapper.
9.The Majestic Twelve|Condoleeza, Check My Posse
Everybody's favorite song at WUVT from TM12. I like the song, but the novelty wears off.
10. M83|Teen Angst
FUCK lyrics, let's dance. M83, those electronic/shoegazers you love from their 2005 effort When the Dawn Heals Us. Good song. Few Lyrics.



Feature one down. I hope you come to enjoy A Sign in Salem, as much as many of you like Watch Batteries. For those of you coming here via AIM or facebook-enjoy the humor, aight?

Aight,

H.S.

No comments: